Sunday, May 21, 2006

Aural: Indie Folker Mending Souls

Joanna Newsom
The Milk-Eyed Mender

When a friend passed me the single Sprout and The Bean, I didn't immediately listen to it, thinking that it was some fairy tale song that would be almost too impish for me. I finally played it and loved it instantly. The song is entirely magical with a child-like quality enhanced by the beautiful harp played by the classically-trained Newsom (think of Bjork on Vespertine and Drawing Restraint). A masterpiece I would say. I saw the video and was further entranced by the disarmingly charming visuals that ran across the chalkboard behind her.

I got The Milk-Eyed Mender and I found a gem. Newsom's clever use of the harp gave many of the tracks a surreal and peaceful feeling which tranlsates to a very pleasant experience for the listener. Her voice, reminiscent of Bjork, Emiliana Torrini, Stina Nordenstam and occasionally Kate Bush sometimes bring a slightly heartaching yearning on tracks like En Gallop and The Other Side of Blue.

Recommended tracks include Bridges and Baloons, Spout and the Bean, En Gallop and the absolute mood lifters Inflmmatory Writ, and Peach, Plum and Pear.

Newsom's lyrics may seemingly be irrelevant and somewhat obscure but such is the beauty in its simplicity. Everything of Johanna Newsrom (pint-sized voice, big-sized harp) put together makes The Milk-Eyed Mender a gem worthy keeping and leaves the listener intoxicated... Joanna may never find fame from The Milk-eyed Mender but she's definitely a salvation of today's music. (A+)

No comments: